Saturday, May 7, 2011

12 Days!

I still can't believe that this is all really happening.  We leave in less than 2 weeks, our flights are booked, I'm half packed, and it feels like I'm in a dream.  (a REALLY good dream) 

I've got packing lists, I've got instructions on how to care for the dog, how to care for the cat, how to care for the guinea pigs, how to run the front-loading washing machine, etc.  I might be a little neurotic, but what can I say, I'm a planner. 

I'm working on putting a master schedule/calendar of events together, for my parents to follow, for the boys.  (3 baseball games per week, practices, and other events).

I've got Malia's first pediatrician appointment scheduled for the Monday after we get back.  I've got her first dentist appointment scheduled for July.  And finally, she will see Dr Maples, the orthopedic surgeon, in August, at Mary Free Bed, for her shoulder.  I think that pretty much covers appointments!

I've been asked by many people, if I'm nervous. I'm not really nervous about traveling to China.  I know it will be a long flight-twice as long as when I went to England.  Joe complaining makes me nervous (with his long legs).  :)  I know we may not run into a lot of English-speaking people-especially in Malia's province.  That will be a strange place feeling, but I'm not really nervous about it.   I'm not nervous about Malia not speaking English.  I know we will find ways to communicate to each other and I've made up cards that she can point to.  There's one with a picture of a glass and cracker, if she needs a snack.   There's one with a picture of a toilet.  Several others too.  I think I will laminate them. I've learned some Mandarin-"are you hungry", "are you thirsty", "I love you", "I'm your mommy", "can I give you a hug?", and a few others. 

The thing that Joe and I are most nervous about, is Malia's well-being.  We know that she will be grieving the loss of her foster family, and everything that is familiar to her.  We worry that we won't be able to comfort her.  We are prepared for the worst, as much as you can be.  I've read several books on attachment and bonding, but am just praying that it goes somewhat smoothly.  I've got lots of bonding and attachment activities and toys.  Every suggestion I've found, I'm using and bringing with us! 

Tomorrow is Mother's Day.  A great reminder of all the things I have to be thankful for, as a mother, and all the great things that are to come.  I'm so happy and eager, to be so close to bringing our family together.  I am truly blessed beyond measure. 

1 comment:

  1. So excited for you Lindsey. Thanks for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete