Saturday, May 21, 2011

Hangzhou Day 1

After moving to our "new" room, we went and met our guide, Emma, downstairs.  She took us to a large grocery store, to buy some water.  We decided not to buy much else because we would like Malia to pick out a few snacks, after we get her.  Emma also took us to the local mall, which is right next door to our hotel.  On the 8th floor, there is a food court.  It was dinner time, extremely packed, and the whole experience was something.  We were the only white people.  Emma ordered for us and we found a table.  She asked if it was ok if she left us and asked if we could get back to the hotel.  We told her that was fine.  I could feel every eye on the 2 Americans, sitting at a table, eating with chopsticks.  Kinda funny!  The noodles with beef, that we had,  was pretty good.  The pork, on the other hand, was mostly fat.  We had heard that some of their dishes have this fatty pork in it, but hadn't had the "pleasure" yet.  I think we need to find a hole in the wall place, and as Wendell and Amy suggested, look for the one with a large line (to know that it's good and safe).  Our guide, Emma, told us the same thing. 

After dinner, we walked around the mall.  It reminded me of a 8 story Macy's.  Everything was extremely pricey, but SO many cute children's clothes.  It seems that it was all divided by brand name, so there were a few brands that were a bit cheaper.  Strangely, a few of the girl's dresses I saw, were made in Paris, not in China, as you would think! 

We called it a night, fairly early.  The pollution is really getting to us.  It was threatening to rain and the pollution is just hanging in the air.  I asked Emma, earlier, why so many people were wearing masks.  She said that pollution is worse, right before it rains, so people with Asthma, or other breathing problems, wear masks, to protect their lungs.  It does feel heavy, but Joe and I feel it more in our eyes.  At one point, my eye was burning.  I almost thought I had an ash in my eye!  Joe's eyes were tearing up horribly, by the time we made it back to the hotel.  It was also getting very windy, has cooled off considerably, and I'm worried because we each only brought one pair of pants and one long-sleeved shirt (which we wore on the plane and need laundering).  I would've washed them in the sink last night, but don't know when we'll be moving today (to a new room). 

We will go exchange money today, with Emma's assistance, and she said she would walk to Xi Hu (West Lake) with us.  We have a little bit of pre-paperwork to do today as well.  She explained that when we get Malia, on Monday (tomorrow!), we will initially sign as Malia's temporary guardians.  That gives us 24 hours to "decide" if we want to keep her.  Understandable.  Then, on Tuesday, we will go back to the Civil Affairs office, to finalize our adoption!  I can't believe tomorrow is the day we meet our daughter!  How will I EVER sleep?  As it is, I wake up at midnight (thinking I've had a full night rest) and then get myself back to sleep and wake up at 4am. 

As I sit here, I'm enjoying some Korean instant coffee that Wendell and Amy gave us, to take with us, when we left them in Shanghai.  Thank you, Amy!  Yep, 2 packets are just perfect!  We're also using the Survival Chinese book, that Amy gave to us.  I was proud of myself yesterday, when I said "shay, shay" to someone (thank you).  It's the little things in life!

We are at the Hangzhou Hotel.  If I were to have my choice, we would have stayed at an American hotel again.  I don't think we'll be able to change, after talking to Emma last night.  She said that all of Great Wall's families stay at the Hangzhou Hotel.  We told her that the first room had a dirty toilet, that the second room had a dirty toothpick sitting by the toiletry items, and we can't get the safe to work.  The bed, is hard-more like what you would expect in China-not soft, like the Crowne Plaza in Shanghai.  Everything is just older and no big screen tv, much to Joe's disappointment.  :)  Oh well, if we can't change, we'll just make some lemonade.  To my adoptive friends who will be traveling soon, I would definitely stay somewhere else, if you have the choice.  We wish we were closer to West Lake and will see later, how close, or far, we actually are. 

Emma is meeting us at 10am.  She's a Great Wall guide and travels to all of the provinces.  She is actually from Beijing and goes back frequently, to visit her family.  She is a sweetheart.  She worked for 4 years, for All God's Children, another adoption agency, and has worked for Great Wall, for the past 6 months.  She said that her friends and family think she should find a better job, with less travel, and maybe teach English.  She said she loves meeting the families and helping children.  I told her that those are the people who need to be doing her job-the ones who find it rewarding.  I'm just thankful that we have her.  Another wonderful person that God has placed along our journey. 

We haven't spoke to the boys yet and I'm worried they think we've forgot about them.  When we were awake around midnight, we tried to call them.  No answer at Joe's parents (where they are this weekend).  We will try again, in a few hours, but we think they may have gone camping with grandma and papa.  If grandma reads this, please let the boys know we miss them dearly and that we have a couple souvenirs for them.  Not as much "boy stuff" to be had.  Lots of hugs to our boys, family, and friends.  This time tomorrow, we'll be getting ready to meet our girl!  Please pray for us.
Lindsey

3 comments:

  1. So excited for you! Meeting your daughter for the first time! Thoughts and prayers are with you. Les & Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey I am loving your blog! What an amazing journey! How incredible to experience such a vastly new culture, I think you are holding up amazingly. What a wonderful way to chronicle your journey to Malia. I bet she will love reading all of this someday. Hope you are getting some sleep with all the excitement of tomorrow. Can't wait to see it all here! Our kids are enjoying your pictures too. Best wishes, Rebecca Grisdale and family :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! We cannot wait to meet Emma. I cannot wait to see your blog tomorrow morning when you have that sweet girl in your arms. PRaying all goes smooth!!!

    ReplyDelete