Saturday, May 14, 2011

5 Days!

5 days from today, we'll be on our way!  I keep saying it, but it still seems like a dream to me.  We were so thrilled to find out on Wednesday, that we will be able to visit Malia's orphanage.  Although she has been in foster care for well over a year now, she spent time at the orphanage.  Joe is worried that it will be hard on her, bringing her back.  It may be confusing to her, but we'll have the guide explain as much as we can.  This may be our only chance at learning some of her past.  Some day, I know she'll appreciate pictures from the orphanage and maybe knowing the answers to a few unknown questions.  There are so many unknowns, when it comes to adopting from China.  Every answer we get will be a precious piece of the puzzle.

I think Blaise, our 7 year old, is having a hard time with the thought of us leaving.  He hasn't been sleeping well lately and we've found him on the floor, next to my side of the bed, each morning for the past week or so.  He keeps telling me that he doesn't get to see me enough and that he misses me.  When I drop him off at school, he looks back several times to wave.  He used to be the kid that ran off to play with his friends, and never looked back.  Poor guy.  He is excited to be a big brother though and I know he'll be a good one.  He's got lots of love and hugs to give!

Nolan, our 10 year old, is really eager to get Malia home.  He has wanted to have a little sister for as long as I can remember.  I remember when he was around 5, he pointed to some girly bedding at the store and said that it would be good for when he has a little sister.  I think he must have always known, even when I wasn't so sure, that there was a girl in our future.  Recently, he made a list of the 5 most annoying things his brother does.  I told him that he might have one of those lists about his sister eventually.  He thought I was crazy.  She is already perfect in his eyes and can do no wrong.  I told him that might change!  He'll figure it out eventually...

Well, so much to do today.  I'm praying that Malia's transition goes as smoothly as possible.  She is leaving everything she has ever known and we know she will be grieving the loss of her foster parents and everything familiar.  I can tell by the answers to some of the questions that we received from her foster parents, that they love and care for her.  They mentioned several times that we need to be patient with her and explain things patiently.  We are so thankful that she has been well-cared for.  If children have bonded well in the past, that allows them to bond again.  That gives me hope. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm getting so excited for your family, Lindsey!! You are SO close to your daughter now! Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you during this last day of preparation prior to travel.

    ReplyDelete