Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The adoption is final!

After the long wait, it seemed like such a simple task.  Sign a few pieces of paper and done!  The Spanish families we met yesterday were there again today, along with a family we met briefly, that were from Georgia. 

We've hit a little bump in the road and I'm trying hard not to panic.  We had heard months ago, that Hangzhou did not expedite passports.  I told our agency this, long before we had travel approval.  They assured me that this would not be a problem.  I thought we would end up in province longer, but when we received our itinerary, it was the typical one. Well, we are scheduled to leave for Guangzhou on Friday, our consulate appointment is scheduled for the 31st and Malia's passport could very well not be to Guangzhou until late on the 31st, or even the 1st (if we're lucky).  We have a train booked, for Hong Kong, on the 1st, and are scheduled to head home on the 2nd.  Needless to say, I'm not happy.  Our guide called to tell us this afternoon.  I asked her to go to the police station and plead our case.  She had talked to them several times.  She will go down in person, tomorrow, but they have been insistent that it will not be ready by the time we fly out Friday night. I e-mailed the US consulate, in Guangzhou, but have not heard back as of tonight. 

Our guide called the orphanage today, to see if we could see and take pictures of 7 other children, whose parents had requested we check on them.  Well, they said that some of the children are in foster care, but if we visit on Thursday, rather than Wednesday, they can try to get them there!  Talk about shocker!  I was expecting a firm no, but am so happy that they will try to have them all there for us to see and take pictures of!  I hate to get too excited, but I'm very hopeful.  We bought cleft nurser bottles with us, to donate to the orphanage and today, we bought some treats to bring for some of the kids we will see.  I also confirmed that the one picture we have, from January 2009, that another adoptive mom had taken, is indeed Malia.  The picture of the crib card was sort of blurred, but Emma said it is definitely her name on the card.  The orphanage said we could give the photo album I made, to Malia's foster family.  We can't meet them, but the orphanage will make sure they get it. 

I guess I shouldn't stress about the passport.  God has already moved mountains for us.  I'm just worried that this could affect getting Malia's visa and consequently, leaving the country.  (my worst fear and something I discussed with my dad before we left). 

Our day went good.  Malia has gotten to where she prefers me over Joe and we're not exactly sure what we should do.  He's trying to be the one to give her snacks and he's being playful with her.  She does fine playing with him for short periods, but doesn't want him carrying her and really threw a fit tonight, when he tried.  We want to carry her because it's good for bonding and we are so worried about all the traffic.  The hotel is in a busy area, with lots of bikes, mopeds, buses, and cars.  Even when there is a walk signal, you cannot be guaranteed a safe trip across a busy intersection.  You must keep your eye out for mopeds and bikes!

The more time that goes by, the more we dislike our hotel.  It's not close to many restaurants, it's on the busiest street in Hangzhou, and it's not near to West Lake.  There is NO Western food at the breakfast buffet (unless you consider warm Tang a Western food/drink).  No oatmeal, no dry cereal, no bagels, no pancakes.  You get the drift...  There are eggs, but they are undercooked.  Our air conditioning doesn't seem to be working, so we have had the window open (yes, the window on the 12th floor pops open a bit, with no screen).  Last night, I found a slip of paper that said there would be no hot water today and tomorrow, between 9am and 5pm.  We figured that was no big deal because we are usually up and around by 5 or 6.  Well, tonight, Joe turned on the hot water (after 5pm) and it was brown!  He let it run and run and it did get a lighter shade of brown.  We called the desk, they sent a man up, but he just looked at it and left.  Not sure he was going to fix anything.  I was going to give Malia a bath or have her take a shower, but I don't feel right doing so.  Sigh.....  After 6 days, I feel entitled.  Besides, she's ours, now I'm ready to go home! 

That's it for pity parties.  Malia's doing great.  A few tantrums-throwing things, but who can blame her?  I'd be frustrated if no one understood a word I was saying and I didn't understand a word they said.  We're pretty sure she has sworn at Joe a couple times.  She swore at our guide today, when she was told to sit down in the van.  Emma handled it well and told her it wasn't lady-like, to speak that way.  Later, Emma asked her to pinky swear that she would never say bad words like that again.  She agreed, but I have a feeling, she has heard them many times, and may have become a habit of hers. 

We went to Carefour today, and got Malia some snacks and some fake "crocs".  Sort of like a Walmart.  The crocs were less than $10. 

Well, I'm exhausted.  Just not sleeping well-between the bed and the time change maybe.  I will try to post better tomorrow. 
Love and hugs,
Lindsey, Joe, and Malia

1 comment:

  1. Oh Lindsey, I'll lift you guys up in prayer tonight. I know how you're feeling. I really do. (well, except for the passport issue - haven't dealt with that before!) I suspect that although it may be hard to say goodbye to Malia's province, you will be much happier in Guangzhou. If nothing else, you'll be closer to home by then!

    ReplyDelete